How the Victorian Government is fighting climate change
The Victorian Government is establishing itself as a climate change leader, becoming the first state government in Australia to legislate for net zero emissions by 2050.
The Climate Change Act 2016 requires the government to set five-yearly interim emissions targets from 2020 onwards. (A target for 2020 has already been set.)
From now on, the government will consider how climate change and the pollution that causes it are effected by government decision-making and policies.
Here’s how we’ll get to net zero emissions -
Snapshot of government action on climate change
We know that Victorians want government action on climate change. Here’s a snapshot of what we’ve done over the last 12 months.
- Committed to cut emissions from State Government Department operations by 30 percent on 2015 levels by 2020
- Committed to reduce emissions across the entire economy by 15-20% on 2005 levels by 2020 as our first interim target on the way to net zero
- Set ambitious renewable energy targets (25% by 2020 and 40% by 2025) which will create thousands of new jobs and cut the pollution causing climate change
- Established TAKE2 – a world-leading collective climate change pledge initiative which supports all Victorians to take action on climate change
- Launched the $20 million New Energy Jobs Fund to create more jobs, support renewable energy generation, cut emissions and drive innovation in new energy technologies
- Developed Victoria’s Climate Change Adaptation Plan 2017-2020 to help Victorians meet the challenges and make the most of opportunities climate change will present.
Learn more about the Victorian Government’s plan for a low carbon future
Victorian Government pledges
We are making two kinds of pledge:
- Operational pledge – This is our promise that Victorian Government departments will take action to combat climate change. We’ll look at areas like energy use, transport and waste and find cleaner, greener ways to operate. This will contribute to one whole-of-government pledge.
- Sector pledges – This is our promise that Victorian Government policies and programs promote lower emissions across the state’s economy in key sectors, including energy, agriculture, transport and waste.